Enjoy these recipes with your family!
Golden Egg Bread (a soft bread, excellent for sandwiches)
¾ cup warm water about 100 F.
6 Tbsp canola or olive oil
1 package yeast
2 cups bread flour
1-cup whole-wheat flour (White Whole Wheat is great!)
4 Tbsp sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
3 Tbsp powdered milk dry
1. Beat water, egg, and oil together
2. Stir in yeast. Let sit about 5 min.
3. Mix dry ingredients (not yeast)
4. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir together Knead about 10 min.
5. Cover and raise in warm place until double
6. Punch down, shape into 2 loaves.
7. Place in Greased Bread pans
8. Cover & let raise about 45 min.
9. Bake in 350 degrees F 20-30 minutes until golden brown,
10. Cool and slice. Makes 2 loaves.
Martin Muller Crusty Bread
This bread, from my friend a master chef is delicious, super easy, no kneading and all in one day!
- 3 cups slightly warm water (NOT HOT!)
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar (or a little less)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 1/2 – 5 1/2 cups bread or all purpose flour
Mix together water, yeast, salt, and sugar and let sit until foamy. Add flours and mix with a rubber spatula until flour is moist – do not over mix or knead! (should look lumpy) Let sit lightly covered for two hours.
At this point you can either make bread loves, rolls or punch it down, cover it, and store it in the fridge. I make a whole batch and keep it in the fridge and then pull some out when I need it – makes great pizza crust, bread sticks, baguettes, etc.
To bake: place baking pan, stone or dutch oven on top rack and a metal dish (NOT glass) for water on the bottom rack; preheat oven to 480*. Shape loaves about the size of a grapefruit on parchment paper. DO NOT knead or over work! Just tuck the sides together on the bottom-rotate and repeat keeping the top on the top all the time as you “stretch” the dough over the top. Make the balls quickly with as little handling as possible. Place on parchment paper (with cornmeal is nice but not needed), dust ball with flour and cut an X in the top. let rest cover 30 min. When oven is heated place loaves on baking sheet and pour 1 cup of water into bottom dish. (not the one for the bread on the top shelf) Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until dark brown (loaves should crackle when you take them out). Let sit 15-30 minutes before cutting. Seriously!!! Whole batch makes 4 round loaves. AMAZING!
Healthy bread in 5 min a day
5 ½ cups White or Reg Whole Wheat Flour
2 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ TBSP OR 2 pkg active dry yeast
1 TBSP Kosher Salt
¼ cup Vital Wheat Gluten
4 cups lukewarm water about 90-105
Stir together in large container. Cover lightly. Rest at room temp 2 hrs then refrigerate overnight or up to 14 days. Sprinkle sticky dough lightly with flour. Pull up and cut off a grapefruit sized ball with scissors or serrated knife. Tuck ends of dough under lightly preserving bubbles inside. Set on cornmeal sprinkled parchment paper for 90 minutes covered to raise. Preheat oven with baking stone inside to 450 degrees. Slash bread top and spritz or sprinkle with water. Slide quickly into hot oven. Bake about 18-25 minutes until well browned. Cool and enjoy!
(For sandwich bread raise in oiled bread pan and after baking brush top crust with butter while hot. YUM!
Cinnamon Rolls A+
Mix in a machine with dough hook or knead 10 minutes by hand:
1 ¼ cup warm milk 100F
¼ cup butter melted and cool
1 egg beaten well¼ cup sugar
¾ tsp salt
3 cup Flour (bread)
2 ½ tsp yeast
1. Cover dough in bowl and let raise until double.
2. Punch down and roll into 10×13” rectangle.
3. Brush with 4 TBSP very soft butter
4. Mix together and then sprinkle on:
2 ½ Tbsp cinnamon
3/4 Tbsp brown sugar
1. Melt 5 Tbsp butter in 9x13x2 pan in oven. Don’t brown it!
2. Sprinkle melted butter with ½ cup brown sugar
3. Roll up rectangle from long side to make log.
4. Cut in 2” sections with sharp knife or dental floss (unflavored)
5. Place in pan spiral side down
6. Raise 30 minutes
7. Bake 350F for 20-30 minutes
8. Flip upside down on large platter to cool. Leave pan over it for 5 min.
9. Cool and eat or add icing and eat
Cream Cheese Icing
1 stick of butter, softened
8oz cream cheese, softened
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1-2 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp orange juice (optional)
1. Cream together butter, cream cheese until smooth
2. Add sugar 1 cup at a time and milk
3. Mix well
4. Beat on high until smooth
Great on Carrot Cake or Cinnamon rolls, makes LOTS but freezes well.